The purpose of this experiment is to observe how exposure to air affects the taste of young sheng puer over time.
For this experiment, I used 2018 “Long Tang Gu Shu” sheng puer from Yunnan Sourcing. For reference, here are the storage methods:
- A: 70-75F, 65% RH, not sealed (mini-pumidor)
- B: 70-75F, 65% RH, sealed in mylar bag
- C: 70-75F, 65% RH, vacuum-sealed
Other relevant info:
- Humidity is controlled using Boveda packs.
- Cores of cakes were removed prior in order to reduce sample variability.
- A: Sweet and vibrant, the least harsh of the 3 samples.
- B: Very similar to A, just a touch of extra harshness.
- C: Slightly more bitter/harsh than A and B.
I will provide an update at the 1-year mark (mid-October), and continue updating annually after that.